Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pictures and video of the final product!





I'm not entirely sure why the audio cuts out halfway through. As you can tell, I'm not filming this.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Some thoughts on stoning

8,000+ rhinestones and I-don't-even-know-how-many hours later and I'm finally done gluing!

In the end I used 3 different sizes in 4 colors:

12ss AB stones (3/4 of a pack)
16ss crystal (2 packs), peridot(2 packs), and purple velvet stones (1 pack)
20 ss AB stones (1/2 of a pack)

I used the wax paper technique for some of the mesh parts so I wouldn't get the dress form all glued up, but I'd like to add to that, if you are going to use this technique, make sure you pull the paper off before it's fully dried. Perhaps my wax paper isn't waxy enough, but the first part I let it dry too much and now there is a little bit of paper still stuck to the back of some of the rhinestones. I'm sure it will wear off before too long, but it was annoying to try to peel off the little pieces enough that it wouldn't be visible.

The other thing is I'd make sure next time to start my stoning patterns in the areas I want to be most heavily stoned. I was scrambling a little bit at the end of some parts of the design that are more visible to make it look as heavily stoned as other parts that are not going to be as visible when I'm dancing. Not smart. It ended up ok in the end, but next time I'd think it through a little more. I ended up completely using 5 packs of 10 gross each and about 3/4 of another 10 gross pack and half of another. In total I estimate that there are about 8,000 rhinestones on this now.

The only step left now is attaching the floats and then I can say I'm done. I probably won't have pictures or video until after this weekend when I'll be wearing it for the first time at UPenn Classic! If you see me there, come say hi!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012


My sparkles came in the mail!

Look at all the sparkles! Yay!

Now back to gluing.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Stoning update!

I've gotten a lot more stoning done so I thought I'd post an update with some pictures! I'm still going to be adding a lot more, this is about 2/3 done.
Left back


Right front

Skirt hem


Thursday, January 5, 2012


I got my gem-tac glue back last night and started stoning the night away! Here's what I have so far. I'll be doing more "ribbons" of crystal stones and then some peridot stones over the remainder.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Standard dress nearing completion!

So I haven't posted a picture in a while even though I've done a bunch of stuff. I got really behind on the whole blogging part. BUT, I have exciting news! The sewing part of my gown (minus the floats) is now DONE! I can't believe it. I'm going to be stoning before I add the floats because they're going to make it much more difficult to manipulate and just generally get in the way. So here it is: